Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A Blueberry Pie Experience


This was the first year I have ever spent the 4th of July at home. 
Growing up, my family always went camping with my mom's side of the family over the week of the 4th and had a fun celebration around the campfire or watching fireworks. And since I've been married, we've spent the day at my Husband's grandparents house celebrating with a big family-filled cook out. 
Yet this year, thanks to our busy traveling schedule and lack of funds, we spent the day at home. 
While I missed everyone and hope to jump back in to old traditions next year, it was really nice. 
And having hours to fill however we pleased I was able to decide to make a pie at the last minute! 
(We were being joined by some good friends for a little dinner cook-out that evening.) 
When deciding which pie to bake, I realized the most fruit I had were frozen blueberries and, since I had never even tasted a blueberry pie before and it seemed a patriotic choice, blueberry pie it was! 
(And after all that, I needed to buy more blueberries anyway... but it was worth it!) 
I found a simple recipe on-line here and made it my own! 

After measuring out the berries, I laid them out to dry.
I used 6 cups of berries instead of 4.
For the pie crust I used my favorite pie crust (adding only cinnamon & a little extra sugar). 

I also used frozen blueberries, so I rinsed them in warm water, drained them and laid them out to dry while I made the crust. 

I prepared the crust in the pan and prepared the top crust.
(Picture taken before I used small star cookie cutters for the shapes
this was done here before putting on top of full pie).
After preparing the crusts, I whisked together the rest of the filling ingredients to pour over the blueberries. 

I used 5 Tbsp of corn starch to ensure it stayed thick.

Once all of the filling was mixed, I filled the pan and covered it with the top crust and a few extra star shapes for a decorative look. Next, I brushed it with milk and sprinkled the top with sugar!

Placed on a baking sheet and with the edges covered, it's all ready to go in the oven! 
It came out beautifully! 
I was glad I made the decision to forego the lattice top crust and try something different, 
it felt much more appropriate for the holiday.
Everyone enjoyed it and I think I found my new favorite pie! 

Since I've made this I've been craving it and have almost baked another one about 3 times... 
unfortunately we haven't had any guest over and I just know I'd have no trouble eating it all myself! 


The pie was served about 2 hours after it came out of the oven. While it held its shape nicely, by the end of the evening there was no juice leaking out at all. This is a great pie to make a day ahead of time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment